After 35 years of patient care and with the satisfaction of many happy patient outcomes, I am proud to announce that I have transitioned to the position of Medical Director. This means that I will be overseeing the functionality of patient care and am continuing to work to make every visit a fabulous experience. We plan to continue to be the “Best in Sight”, but now with the added benefit of sincere compassion in everything we do, using cutting edge technology and providing unmatched experience.
We understand it is important to treat every patient like we would want to be treated ourselves. To do that, we use the latest technology to diagnose and treat your eye problems. Then it is of utmost importance to explain those results and treatment plans to our patients in language that is easily understood.
Our physicians here at Fier Eye Care and Surgery Center are experienced and well-versed in providing this compassionate care to each individual. Dr. Richard Seith provides all-around quality care to all as a Board Certified Ophthalmologist. With over 10 years experience in general ophthalmology and specializing in cataract extraction and implantation of premium lenses, we are happy to have Dr. Seith on board here in our clinic since 2012.
In addition, Dr. Carrie Palmer is a Board Certified Ophthalmologist with specialty Fellowship Training in Cornea and External disease. She has a great deal of experience in ocular plastics (surgical reconstruction and plastic procedures) as well as expertise in Botox and Juvederm injections. Dr. Palmer is skilled in LASIK and refractive surgery and will be restarting our abilities to offer these procedures right here in Martin & St. Lucie counties, eliminating the need to travel outside this area.
We continue to have the knowledge and services of Dr. Christopher Frey, our Board Certified Optometrist for 13 years, who also specializes in dry eye treatment and contact lens fittings. Dr. Kevin Kelly, our Fellowship trained Retina and Vitreous Specialist, continues to provide excellent treatment for Age-Related Macular Degeneration and Diabetic Retinopathy, as well as retinal tears, retinal detachments, and macular edema, as he has for the last 6 years at our facility.
Fier Eye Care and Surgery Center is the only practice that performs LASIK (laser vision correction) surgery in Martin County! The laser corrections are expertly performed by Carrie Palmer, MD, Board Certified Ophthalmologist that is certified in Refractive Surgery and is Fellowship trained in Cornea & External Disease. Dr. Palmer would like you to read the following brief comments:
What is LASIK?
- LASIK is a type of refractive procedure that reduces one’s dependency on glasses or contact lenses. LASIK involves reshaping of the surface of the eye, called the cornea. It can help correct near-sightedness, far-sightedness and astigmatism.
Who is a candidate?
- Most patients who wear glasses or contact lenses for distance vision are candidates for LASIK. At Fier Eye Care, we offer a free LASIK screening to determine if a patient is a candidate for laser vision correction. If a patient is not a good candidate Dr. Palmer will advise you of other options to reduce dependency on glasses or contact lenses.
What to expect during your LASIK Procedure?
- The actual procedure typically takes 10 to 15 minutes. Both eyes are numbed with a topical numbing agent; some patients do experience a pressure-type sensation. After the procedure our patients are asked to use eye drops for 1 to 2 weeks (antibiotic, steroid and lubricating drops). Patients are asked to refrain from strenuous activities and eye rubbing for 1 week following the procedure. Visual recovery typically occurs by the following morning.
What LASIK machines does Fier Eye Care/ Dr Carrie Palmer use?
- Dr Carrie Palmer is certified in blade-less LASIK, which means the LASIK flap is created with a laser instead of a blade. This laser is called Intralase.
- She also uses the newest AMO laser to reshape the cornea. This laser is called STAR S4 IR Excimer Laser which uses the latest Wavefront and Iris Registration technology. These are used to create an Advanced CustomVue treatment plan.
How to determine if you are a candidate for LASIK?
- Set up a free consultation at Fier Eye Care. We have two locations to choose from, located in Stuart and Port St. Lucie.